Wednesday, November 15, 2006

childhood memories

I am in no mood to blog right now. I have been sealing up all my ramblings as of late. If I were to write what I am really thinking and feeling then everyone would start throwing tomatoes at me like a really bad comedy act. So instead of writing anything about what is going on now, I thought I would take a little trip down memory lane and blog about some of my childhood experiences. My earliest memories took place in Blacksburg VA at 102 Orchard View Lane. That is where my family lived when I was born. I was the 6th child but my first memory is the birth of the 7th when I was just over 2 years old. My mother was and is quite eccentric about certain things and she preferred to give birth to her children at home. It was 1979 and Blacksburg was no where near as liberal as California so even though she had her 4th child at home, my brother Jeremy and I were hospital babies. Sam was born at home. She was very purple when she was born and I remember that I left one of my dollies under my mom's bed but wasn't allowed to go and get her for a while. I recall the house being very dark and I have no idea what the actual layout of the house was because we moved out of it when I was only 5. I remember two bathrooms and lots of daddy-long leg spiders in one of them. I remember sharing the "playroom" with 4 other siblings and sleeping on these cool beds my dad made us from 2x4's. They were nestling beds with Sam's being the smallest and Casey's being the largest. When morning came they could all be pushed together. They probably weren't very comfortable. I think they just had slats on top that we laid foam padding over that could be rolled up and stowed away during the day. The playroom had a cupboard and each child had one shelf where we kept our toys. We were very poor in those days, but I had no idea and I was extremely happy and content. I had lots of playmates and we had a swingset with monkey bars and a very cool playhouse in the backyard. We also kept goats and chickens and that is where we got our milk and eggs. My mom baked her own bread. It was very hard and dark. She must've been so exhausted all the time. There are only 10 years between the oldest and the youngest child. My oldest sister was going on 8 years old when I was born. That's my daughter's age now. Very high maintainance. I can't imagine 5 more younger than her. My dad walked to VaTech from our house and we had a big white Volkswagon bus/van. It didn't have seatbelts or carpet in it. It was pretty torn up by the time we got rid of it some 15 years later!!

No comments:

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers