Saturday, November 04, 2006

maturity and letting go...

I read this book about the trials of adolescent girls. I am a pyschology buff so I found it incredibly interesting but totally depressing. It's called Reviving Ophelia. It has this great definition of maturity that I like to read from time to time. I found this on page 256.
"Maturity involves:
-Being honest and true to oneself.
-Making decisions based on a conscious internal process.
-assuming responsibility for one's decisions.
-having healthy relationships with others.
-developing one's own true gifts.
-thinking about one's environment and deciding what one will and won't accept."
I know I still have a long way to go. I definitely am not developing any of my true gifts these days. In fact, I have been wasting my time all week watching "Grey's Anatomy". Benjamin Franklin was quoted in one episode. "Never put off till tomorrow that which you can do today".
That's maturity too. Growing up is awful, but not growing up is so much worse. I like who I am for probably the first time in my life. I am not depressed or in denial or looking for shortcuts to happiness. I am going to be just fine, if I can just get through the rest of this horrendously sad week.

No comments:

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers