Thursday, June 22, 2006

changing seasons

One of my sisters and I have been discussing the seasonality of our lives. I base my theories on the section of Ecclesiastes that the Byrds quote from in the song "To every season, turn, turn, turn." It's Chapter 3:
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time be be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."
Oh my goodness, that is just so beautiful and deep.
The reason I mention it is that I feel I am starting a new time in my life. A good and hopeful time. I really have used these verses as a comfort to me in what I recognized as a hard season. And one of my sisters (if not all of my sisters, come to think of it...) is having a bit of a hard season too. Sometimes we compare our hard seasons to the good seasons of others and that can be frustrating. I think if we know there is a spring coming after the winter, then we recognize that our trials are temporary and that the bitter snows can help create the beautiful gardens.
Amen

2 comments:

Coleen said...

I am so happy that you carry such a postive outlook on life-- you are truly stronger than you know. I remember something I read once, and I'm sorry it's not the exact story but basically, some men gathered around to discuss their problems. They were told to put their problem in a pile (in the form of a bean) in the middle of them all. After they heard all the problems, they were told to select a bean, a problem, to take on. All of them chose their own beans after all was said and done. I, on the other hand, ... :) Well, this is long. I'm excited to hear about your date. Where are you going? What are you doing??? Details, por favor. By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! You won the table set- will you be here any time soon? Give me a call if you can!

Coleen said...

By the way, I think I got attacked by bed bugs. No kidding. I look like I have chicken pox. Eww.

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers